Federal law recognizes the inherent authority of Indian tribes and tribal organizations to exercise an employment preference for their own members and other Indians. This is often referred to as tribal or Indian preference.
Accordingly, preference in all aspects of employment with the Tribe will be given
1) First, to enrolled members of the Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe,
2) Second, to Port Gamble S'Klallam descendents and parents of enrolled Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribal Member children,
3) Third to other Indians enrolled in any federally recognized tribe, and
4) Fourth to non-Indian candidates.
This preference is for the purpose of furthering the goals of self-determination and employment opportunities for the Tribe and its members.
|Hours per Week||Benefits|
|30-40||Medical/Vision/Dental/Life Insurance/401K/Short & Long Term Disability/Annual Leave/Sick Leave/Personal Leave/Birthday Leave/Funeral Leave/|
|20-29||401K/Pro-Rated Annual Leave/Pro-Rated Sick Leave/Pro-Rated Personal Leave/Pro-Rated Birthday Leave/Pro-Rated Funeral Leave/|
Print and Download Application Here
All Applications are due by 4:30pm of the closing date.
Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe
31912 Little Boston Road NE
Kingston, WA 98346
|Dental Assistant 1- OC||On-call||September 2nd, 2014||Open|
***Click Here for Instructions and Application on How to Apply*** (Applications are required to apply for all positions)
The Tribe’s Dental Assistant, Level 1, position enhances the quality of the oral health of dental patients through the provision of basic dental assistant services for the tribal dental team. The position operates under the direct supervision of the Dental Hygienist, and the overall direction of the Chief Dental Officer and with the guidance of the Director of Health Services.
- Greet and seat patients in a timely fashion.
- Assist patients in completing medical history as needed; takes and records blood pressure and vital signs in onsite dental records system, as well as reports findings to dentist and/or hygienist.
- Set up instruments and equipment prior to seating patients.
- Provide chair-side assistance during examinations and other procedures, including passing instruments and material, and operating suction and retraction equipment in patients' mouths.
- Assist Dentist and Hygienist with inputting information into dental computer records system as directed.
- Rubber dam placement.
- Take, develop, and mount clinically acceptable radiographs.
- Provide oral hygiene instruction.
- Duties include perio charting, child prophys, adult polishes and typical fluoride varnishes, or assist with these as directed.
- Cleans and polishes removable dental appliances worn by patients.
- Set up and tear down operatory’s as needed. Loading instruments into sterilizer/autoclave.
- Take impressions, make bleaching trays, ordering supplies and repairs.
- Maintenance of Facility, Equipment and Supplies: Maintain dental clinic, including lab, in a clean, orderly, sterile condition, doing deep cleaning once weekly and observing infection control practices at all times. Maintain, clean, package, sterilize and store all dental equipment and instruments. Assist with tracking of inventory.
- Administrative: Schedule patients as needed; assist with reminders/recalls. Assist with purchasing of educational give-a ways and incentives for children. Participate in dental staff meetings.
- Prevention/Education: Assist with clinic outreach programs.
- Personal Contacts: Maintains regular contacts of a positive nature with patients and their families, other community members, Port Gamble S’Klallam and Suquamish Tribal staff, and others, Indian Health Service, to accomplish program objectives and preserve good public relations.
- Reporting: Assists Dentist and/or Dental Hygienist Services Coordinator in the preparation and distribution of numerous reports including patient/billing data; Program outcome measures; Quarterly Reports; and others.
- Previous dental experience preferred with thorough understanding of the operations of a professional dental clinic. Dental assistant certification preferred; willingness to receive on-going continuing education required.
- Personal Computer Skills: Basic personal computer skills are required, as well as the ability to learn word-processing, spreadsheet and other software programs.
- Other: Ability to learn dental terminology and use it correctly in performing procedures and maintaining patient records.
- Skill and dexterity in performing dental procedures.
- Ability to maximize time management; good punctuality and attendance.
- Ability to interact with others in a professional and compassionate, culturally competent manner, maintain confidentiality, and work well as a member of a team.
- Local, statewide and out of state travel may be required.
- Regularly required to finger, handle, reach with hands and arms
- Frequently required to walk, sit, stand
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Normal audio and visual acuity