Tribal Government

Coming Soon

Port Gamble Foster CareMission:
Provide safe, loving, stable homes to children in need while ensuring appropriate services to foster families, enabling them to meet the needs of the children in their care.  Our purpose is to license homes on the Port Gamble S'Klallam reservation and in Kitsap County in order to furnish nurturing homes free from violence and substance abuse, within the tribal community.

Services offered:

  • Provide culturally relevant foster parent training
  • Foster Home Licensing
  • Coordinate respite care
  • Support foster parents and children


Core S’Klallam values and guiding principles for Indian Child Welfare

  1. Keep the child safe while allowing the parent to share whatever benefits the parent has to offer the child.
  2. The Tribe has zero tolerance for sex abuse: the Tribe will ensure a full, sustained response on every level, as though it is a life and death
  3. situation.
  4. Children belong with the Tribe; the Tribe is family.
  5. The community expects the parents to keep working towards being a good parent.
  6. Accept the fact that people are in denial (from addictions).
  7. Parents need help learning to be a parent.
  8. It is critical for ICW staff to communicate a lot with the parents, the children and the “other home”.
  9. Listen to the child.


canoes alki

Mission: Provide construction management, land use and utility planning services to the Tribe, and oversight of the BIA roads program.

Services offered:

  • assist with lot surveys, boundary issues, lot line adjustments, lot divisions
  • provide documentation for 184 home loans including construction verification (inspection) for pay requests and verfication of jurisdiction for the lenders
  • help homeowners resolve FEMA insurance issues with lenders


The Pole carved by Jake Jones in honor of June Jones going up in front of the new Early Childhood Education Center addition.  January 23, 2013

The Pole carved by Jake Jones in honor of June Jonesgoing up in front of the new Early Childhood Education Center addition.  January 23, 2013

Carrying Pole to Early Childhood Education Center

Installing Pole at Early Childhood Education Center

Pole carved by Jake Jones

Pole ceremony Early Childhood Education Center

Putting up the new pole



Explore the website

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: What is a Public Hearing and when is the next one?

    Public Hearings are held when a change is being made to Tribal Law. Sometimes it's an amendment to the law and sometimes it's a brand new law. ALL General Council members are invited and encouraged to attend these meetings. Members' opinion is very important to the Tribal Council. The Council needs all perspectives in order to make sure proposed law is appropriate for the PGST community. Although no formal action is taken during Public Hearings, they are conducted much like General Council meetings and provide a great opportunity for community input.

    Public Hearing Notices are posted several weeks ahead of time in the Community Memo, on tribal buildings and are added to the Community Calendar as they are scheduled by the Tribal Council.

    Full copies of proposed changes are available from the front desk or in the registered member section of the website under the "publications" link under "public hearings".
  • Q: What does “Tribal Sovereignty” mean?

    "Sovereignty" is the inherent authority to govern. Tribes use the term interchangeably with self-governance and self determination.

    "Sovereignty is governing your people and governing your land."

    "Tribal sovereignty is a tool to preserve culture and traditions of Indian people."
  • Q: When does the Tribal Council meet?

    The Tribal Council meets on the second and fourth Monday of every month.
  • Q: When are the General Council meetings scheduled for this year?

    The PGST Constitution states “The General Council shall hold semi-annual meetings on the last Saturday of March and the first Saturday of October.
  • Q: How does someone get enrolled in the tribe?

    Title 25.02 of the Tribal Law and Order Code outlines the procedures for enrollment.

    Title 25 of the L&O Code
    Enrollment Application and Check List

  • Q: What can be accessed on the website as a registered user?

    You must be a tribal member, tribal community member or tribal employee to access the “Member” portion of the website. This will provide access to the Tribal Calendar, Facility reservations, Tribal news and notices, Tribal Council info, Tribal policies and various forms and applications.

    Register / Log in
  • Q: What is the Police Tip line phone number?

    The tipline should be used to report suspicious activity or tips that can help an investigation. If you are witnessing a crime in action, been victim of a crime, or have an emergency it is ALWAYS best to call 911.

    Anonymous Police Tipline: 930-9061

    The police will not contact you back unless you request it. Tips can be left by voicemail or text messaging.
  • Q: How do I get on the Tribal Council Agenda?

    Agenda items are due to the Executive Assistant to the Tribal Council by the Tuesday prior to each meeting.

    Forms can be found at the Tribal Center Reception Desk.

    Tribal Council Agenda Request Form

Upcoming Events

Back to top